Studies of Boring Postcards

This is a series of studies of boring postcards. One day in an art book store I stumbled upon a book entitled "Boring Postcards". I opened it and there was picture after picture of some of the most boring postcards I had ever seen. I spent nearly a half hour looking through the book and then decided I had to buy it. When I showed it to a friend he asked "what do you do with a book like this?". I responded I am going to paint them. He laughed. Through the act of painstaking painting these images the meaning changes. The context changes. The boring postcard somehow ceases being boring. These images have a sense of nostalgia and real american do-it-yourself aesthetic.

Study of Boring Postcard No. 5
Dam Number 15 on the Mississippi
Acrylic

Study of Boring Postcard No. 4
Oil Tank Farm, Midland Texas
Acrylic

Study of Boring Postcard No. 2
Big Guy Pop & Stop Sandwich
Acrylic

Study of Boring Postcard No. 3
Diner Interior
Acrylic

Study of Boring Postcard No. 1
Greetings from Oklahoma
Acrylic

Study of Boring Postcard No. 9
Look Good?
Watercolor

Study of Boring Postcard No. 8
Delaware Turnpike
Watercolor

Study of Boring Postcard No. 6
Downtown Eustis, Florida
Watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment